A total of 66 projects applied for the European Broadband Award 2016 from all over Europe. After thorough assessment and extensive discussions, the jury consisting of five European broadband experts, selected 16 finalists. The five winners will be announced by G.H.Oettinger, Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society, on the 14th November at the Award Ceremony during the "B-DAY: Going Giga" conference.
The following projects from each of the five categories were selected as finalists by the jury of the European Broadband Awards 2016:
Innovative models of financing, business and investment
Cost reduction and co-investment
- Breitband-Masterplan für Tirol, Austria
- Net4all - Public and private partnership to bring UBB network to industrial areas in digital divide in Emilia-Romagna, Italy
- APOLO-CALIFORNIA, FTTH co-investment agreement between Orange Spain & Vodafone Spain, Spain
Socio-economic impact and affordability
Openness and competition
Future-proof and quality of service
- NG-PON2, Portugal
- RemIX: A Distributed Internet Exchange for Remote and Rural Networks, United Kingdom
- The Ludgate Hub, Skibbereen - creating the 1GB community, Ireland
G.H. Oettinger, Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society, will announce and award the five winners on 14th November at the Award Ceremony of the "B-DAY: Going Giga" conference. Registration and agenda of the event are available.