The mid-term review is accompanied by the European Digital Progress Report which gives an in-depth assessment of how the EU and Member States are progressing in their digital development and identifies potential steps to help improve national performance in digital.
A concept paper on "Digitisation, employability and inclusiveness – the role of Europe", looks at the impact of digitisation on the labour market. Digitisation is not a choice but a necessity for European businesses and economies as a whole. It brings plenty of opportunities, but also repercussions, and above all change: some jobs will be replaced, new jobs will be created, and many jobs will be transformed. Thus it is important to accompany citizens in this transition.
A selection of case studies accompanies the concept paper. Several fact sheets and videos illustrate how businesses in the various areas of the Digital Single Market manage the transition and thrive thanks to EU digital policies and targeted support - from eHealth to eCommerce, from digital skills to the digitisation of industries, from smart cities to the shared economy.
A special Eurobarometer looks into "attitudes towards the impact of digitisation and automation on daily life". 27,901 EU citizens were interviewed in March 2017. While, for example 75% of Europeans think that digitisation has a positive effect on the economy and 64% say on the society, at the same time 74% think that digitisation replaces more jobs than it creates, and 44% of respondents currently working think their job could at least partly be done by a robot or artificial intelligence.
- Mid-term review of the 2015 Digital Single Market strategy: Press release - Q&A
- Communication on the Mid-Term review on the implementation of the Digital Single Market Strategy
- Staff working document on the Digital Single Market strategy which provides in-depth information on progress made since 2015 and new actions proposed
- Annex which provides a full list of Digital Single Market initiatives
- Concept paper: Digitisation, employability and inclusiveness – the role of Europe - Factsheet on the concept paper
- Factsheet: Making the most of the digital opportunities in Europe - FR - DE
- Factsheets on digital success stories related to jobs, employability, training, and social issues: