The project reduced the costs of laying down the infrastructure through the involvement of volunteers and locally-owned equipment. Balquhidder Community Broadband intends to further reduce the network’s running costs through economies of scale from aggregation with other users.
Members of the community greatly anticipate the improvements the network will bring, including better quality of life for the local population, and the increase in tourism and business opportunities that will result from being able to offer access to a reliable high-speed internet connection.
Find out more about:
- Good practices in broadband projects: factsheets and video series
- EU funding for broadband
- Creating a Digital Single Market
- European Commission vision and policy relating to broadband
- Regional policy: the EU’s main investment policy
- Territorial cohesion
- EU regional policy in your region