Public sector bodies need to modernise their functioning by taking advantage of new data sources in order to become more data-driven and cost-efficient. Some have begun assessing data analytics to guide policy decisions or improve public services. Data held by companies such as telecoms operators, online platforms, car manufacturers, retailers or social media is highly relevant in this context. Its use can lead to a more targeted response to epidemics, better urban planning, improved road safety and traffic management, better environmental protection, market monitoring or consumer protection.
The Commission outlined governing principles for B2G data sharing in its Communication ‘Towards a common European data space’ of 25 April 2018. These principles are accompanied by Guidance on private sector data sharing which details practical and legal considerations. In this guidance document, the Commission committed to setting up an Expert Group on B2G data sharing to bring the policy forward.
The Expert Group’s tasks shall be to:
- identify good practices on B2G data sharing in order to contribute to more efficient and better public service delivery and/or more reliable and evidence-based policymaking;
- assess the legal, economic and technical obstacles preventing B2G data sharing, and advise on actions to promote B2G data sharing for public interest purposes;
- give recommendations to the Commission on how to further develop its B2G data sharing policy.
In particular, the Expert Group shall:
- evaluate the principles, collaboration modes and technical means outlined in the Guidance on private sector data sharing and endorse a framework for B2G data- sharing;
- define and encourage B2G collaborations to test the guidance and facilitate the exchange of good practices amongst members and with the Commission;
- advise the Commission on new areas for potential support for B2G data sharing through the EU’s Research and Innovation Framework Programme or other programmes, and on future policy actions and next steps to enhance B2G data sharing.
The conclusions and recommendations will be published in a report that can be used as input for possible future Commission initiatives on B2G data sharing.
Call for applications
Read the call for applications to know more about the Expert Group and selection procedure.
How to apply
The deadline for applications has been extended to 12h00 on 2 October 2018 (original deadline: 28 September).
The first meeting of the Expert Group is expected to take place in November 2018. The list of members will be published in the Register of Commission expert groups.
- Annex I: Online application form (link to EU Survey)
- Annex II: Standard declaration of interests
- Annex III: Guidance for filling in the declaration of interests
- Annex IV: Privacy statement