The paper urges European leaders to endorse all the Commission's proposed measures to make the Digital Single Market a reality as of 2018.
The paper stresses that Europe has all the assets to succeed if it takes the necessary measures:
- Complete the Digital Single Market
- Invest in world-class data economy infrastructure
- Invest in very high-capacity connectivity
- Step up the digitisation of industry
- Support startups to scale up
- Implement education reform and reskilling to enable people to adapt to change
- Ensure high levels of data protection and cybersecurity to promote trust among citizens and protect our assets
- Launch common European digital projects which cannot be implemented by individual countries on their own
In May 2017, the Commission will present the mid-term review of the Digital Single Market to review where we stand so far and present ideas for the future. This will be accompanied by the European Digital Progress Report which will give an in-depth assessment of how the EU and Member States are progressing in their digital development and will identify potential steps to help improve national performance in digital.