On 7 May 2018, the European Commission DG CONNECT EMPL announced the creation of the High-Level Expert Group (HLG) on the Impact of the Digital Transformation on EU Labour Markets.
Prof. Dr. Maarten Goos (University of Utrecht) was appointed as Chair of the group by Commissioners Mariya Gabriel and Marianne Thyssen.
Activities of the High-Level Expert Group
The Commission opened a call for expressions of interest for 9 other members of the group. Acting in a personal capacity, independently and in the public interest, the members of the high-level expert group (HLG) shall provide advice to the Commission and, as appropriate, other parties, including:
- Analysis of how to shape the transformation and what framework conditions to be put in place to make it smooth and human-centric;
- Identification of the potential social impacts (risks and opportunities) of digitisation, in particular the large-scale application of artificial intelligence, and the expected job losses and gains;
- Developing responses to the impact digitisation has on skills requirements;
- Exploring viable ways to manage digitisation's impact on labour law and working conditions;
- Identifying ways to use digitisation (in particular artificial intelligence) to make labour markets more inclusive;
- Assessing the impact of digitisation on income distribution and existing inequality and ways to respond to it;
- Defining ways to adapt social security systems to ensure a high level of social protection for all forms of employment;
- Evaluating mechanisms to adapt the tax and benefit system to ensure that fair contributions are paid and loopholes are avoided e.g. revision of taxation models;
- Breaking down the potential effects of digitisation by industry and sector of the economy.
The call for expressions of interest, which closed on 4 June 2018, resulted in more than 80 applications from a broad range of experts across Europe. Following an internal selection process, the Directors-General of DG CONNECT and DG EMPL have decided to appoint as members of the HLG.
Meetings of the High-Level Expert Group
The first meeting of the High-Level Expert Group took place on 18 September 2018. You can find the minutes of the inaugural meeting below.
Find details of the meetings of the High-Level Expert Group on the Impact of the Digital Transformation on EU Labour Markets.
For all further information, please write to us at EC-HLG-FOW@ec.europa.eu.
The Members of the HLG on the Impact of the Digital Transformation on EU Labour Markets
CEO, HK Unemployment insurance fund
Head of Career guidance and counselling Division, Croatian Employment Service (CES)
Professor of Economics and Institutions at the Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance at Utrecht University; Chair of the High-Level Expert Group on the Impact of the Digital Transformation on EU Labour Markets
Partner, McKinsey & Companies, co-leads McKinsey’s Center for Government (MCG)
Associate Professor in the Institute for the Study of Societies and Knowledge, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (ISSK-BAS) and Associate Researcher the European Trade Union Institute (ETUI)
Associate Professor and Senior Research Fellow at the Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford, a Faculty Fellow of the Alan Turing Institute, and Hugh Price Fellow of Jesus College, Oxford
CEO, The Modern Group, Co-Founder of the Future Navigators
Professor of Innovation and Evolutionary Economics at SPRU Science and Technology, Policy Research University of Sussex UK
CEO Europe, Middle East & Africa, Zurich Insurance Company Ltd
Advisor to the Prime Minister Office, Spain