Summary of broadband development in Luxembourg
Broadband coverage already reaches almost 100% and Luxembourg is among the European leaders in terms of broadband coverage and penetration. The national broadband plan aims for networks with ultra-high-speed rates of 1 Gbps download and 500 Mbps upload for 100% of the population in 2020. A 5G taskforce and strategy was established to keep Luxembourg at the forefront of connectivity.
National broadband strategy and policy
- The Communications and Media service (Service des Médias, des Communications et du Numérique) of the Ministry of State (Ministère d'Etat) is in charge of broadband strategy, its coordination as well as implementation in Luxembourg.
- Digital Luxembourg, an initiative of the Ministry of State, is the uniting force and collaborative government initiative that strengthens and guides digital developments in Luxembourg.
- The Luxembourg Regulation Institute (Institut Luxembourgeois de Régulation) acts as the NRA with explicit regulatory mission for safeguarding market competition.
Main aims for broadband development
The national strategy for very high-speed networks is being implemented since April 2010 with targets for 2020. Luxembourg's broadband deployment follows the fibre based technology and especially the FTTH networks. Besides the target of full coverage of 1 Gbps download and 500 Mbps upload connections by 2020, objectives are to connect all public administrations, academic institutions and research centres to high-speed broadband as soon as possible and to create economic activity zones connected to high-speed broadband.
The national policy framework is based on the European electronic communications policy framework, which aims at fostering competition among networks. Mobile and satellite networks will continue to play an important role in moving towards full coverage of high-speed broadband infrastructure.
A 5G taskforce was established to keep Luxembourg at the forefront of connectivity. Testing of 5G technology is currently underway, but full commercial deployment is unlikely before 2022. Luxembourg has drafted a 5G Strategy.
Main measures for broadband development
- Broadband mapping: the government has developed a Broadband service mapping tool that shows the level of broadband coverage for each municipality in Luxembourg. The map is based on fixed network operators’ data (Docsis 3.0, VDSL and Fibre). Coverage is indicated for each of the three target levels of Luxembourg’s national strategy for very high speed networks (30 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 1 Gbps). Another important tool developed by the government is the National Road Works Register. This register contains all the applications for road and roadside permits, which have been submitted by businesses. It also contains information concerning public infrastructure works planned by communes and public administrators on telecommunications, gas, electricity and water networks, etc.
- Other measures:
- Introduction of an obligation to provide reception infrastructure for fibre optic (municipalities have been asked to make reception infrastructure compulsory),
- Introduction of an obligation to provide high speed broadband-ready in-house cabling in new dwellings (appropriate in-house cabling is compulsory for all newly constructed buildings, and already existing multi-dwelling buildings in the event of major renovation works, for which applications for building permits have been submitted after 31 December 2016),
- Access of alternative operators to the network of the incumbent.
Data on broadband development and technologies in Luxembourg
For the latest data on broadband coverage, subscriptions and penetrations, coverage of different broadband technologies and costs check the scoreboard reports and the country reports of the Digital Economy & Society Index (DESI).
Spectrum assignments for wireless broadband
For details on harmonised spectrum assignments consult the study on Spectrum assignments in the EU.
National publications and press documents
- National strategy for very high-speed networks
- Luxembourg's 5G Strategy
- Broadband service mapping system (GEOPORTAIL.LU)
- National Road Works Register
- Study on National Broadband Plans in the EU-28
- Broadband Connectivity Reports and Analyses
- Guide to High-Speed Broadband Investment
- Europe's Digital Progress Report 2017
- Fixed broadband prices in Europe 2018
- Study on broadband coverage in Europe 2017