English | Čeština
Summary of broadband development in Czech Republic
The National Plan for the Development of Next Generation Networks and the state policy Digital Czech Republic v. 2.0 - The Way to the Digital Economy and Digital Czech Republic 3 (DigiČesko 3) defines the strategic approach of the Czech Republic to the construction of Next Generation Networks (NGNs). Through targeted support, it uses the state’s influence to promote the construction of such networks (e.g. by reducing the administrative burden and financial costs) while respecting the principle of technology neutrality. The NGNs will ultimately positively impact the economic growth and will contribute towards improving the competitiveness of Czech enterprises.
National broadband strategy and policy
- The Ministry of Industry and Trade (Ministerstvo průmyslu a obchodu) is the main responsible authority for broadband strategy and policies.
- The Ministry of the Interior (Ministerstvo vnitra) has tasks dedicated to eGovernment, electronic signature and the digitisation of the state administration.
- The Czech Telecommunication Office (Český telekomunikační úřad) performs regulation, data collection and related statistics concerning the country’s broadband development.
Main aims for broadband development
The Digital Czech Republic v.2.0 - The Way to the Digital Economy (Digitální Česko v. 2.0, Cesta k digitální ekonomice), was adopted in 2013. The policy is based on three pillars - the development of high-quality infrastructure, the further expansion of digital services and fostering digital literacy. It commits to providing broadband access with at least 30 Mbps for all inhabitants and 100 Mbps for 50% of households by 2020. The government holds a neutral position concerning the type of fixed broadband technologies used. Preference is given to infrastructure that is future-proof in the long term and enables high-speed connection to the internet.
Digital Czech Republic 3 was adopted in 2018 and is composed of a set of concepts that ensures long-term prosperity of the Czech Republic in the environment of the ongoing digital revolution. This strategy consists of the top goals of three partial strategies: (1) Interaction of the Czech Republic in the European Union in the digital agenda field, (2) Digital public administration and (3) The preparation and interaction of the Czech Republic's society and economy for the consumption of digitalisation.
The Government of the Czech Republic adopted the National Plan for the Development of Next Generation Networks (Národní plán rozvoje sítí nové generace) in October 2016. The plan defines a strategic approach of the Czech Republic towards construction of new generation networks (NGNs) and calls for focused aid. The construction of NGNs is anticipated both through investment from the private sector and also public aid, while respecting the principle of technology neutrality. At the same time, the way is paved for higher connection speeds.
The Government of the Czech Republic also adopted the related Action Plan 2.0 to promote the construction of NGA networks (e.g. by reducing the administrative burden and financial costs) including 5G networks.
Main measures for broadband development
Broadband mapping: an infrastructure mapping website has been established by the Czech Telecommunication Office (CTU) entrusted by the Ministry of Industry and Trade. Mapping is provided at the level of so-called "basic settlement units". For these units, the evaluation is made whether the location is suitable for public subsidy. In terms of coverage mapping, three bandwidth groups are differentiated: up to 30 Mbps, 30-100 Mbps, 100 Mbps and more. The existing and planned networks (forecast for 3 years) will also be included in the database.
The Czech Republic is currently launching a competition for towns and municipalities to test 5G technologies. The Czech Telecommunication Office plans to kick-off an auction of 5G-suitable frequencies in early November 2019, seeking to attract bids from a new fourth mobile network operator to tackle the long-standing problem of high mobile rates in the country. One of the main goals of the auction is to promote increased competition within the Czech market and to attract new market entrant(s).
National and regional broadband financing instruments
Broadband is funded under the Operational Programme Enterprise and Innovations for Competitiveness 2014–2020, with a focus on enhancing access to high-speed internet in all settled and less accessible localities to increase business opportunities. The funding ensures the extension of broadband deployment and roll-out of high-speed networks, the development of products and services as well as support for the take-up of information and communication technologies (ICT).
Data on broadband development and technologies in the Czech Republic
For the latest data on broadband coverage, subscriptions and penetrations, coverage of different broadband technologies and costs check the scoreboard reports and the country reports of the Digital Economy Society Index (DESI).
Spectrum assignments for wireless broadband
For details on harmonised spectrum assignments consult the study on Spectrum assignments in the EU.
National publications and press documents
- National Plan for the Development of Next Generation Networks
- Digital Czech Republic v. 2.0 - The Way to the Digital Economy
- Operational Programme Enterprise and Innovations for Competitiveness 2014-2020
- Report of the Czech Telecommunication Office on the result of the implementation of Regulation (EU) 2015/2120
- Study on National Broadband Plans in the EU-28
- Europe's Digital Progress Report 2017
- Broadband Connectivity Reports and Analyses
- Guide to High-Speed Broadband Investment
- Fixed broadband prices in Europe 2018
- Study on broadband coverage in Europe 2017
- Digitální Česko 3
- Bezdrátové zemské systémy 5. generace (5G)
- Digitální Česko v. 2.0, Cesta k digitální ekonomice
- Národní plán rozvoje sítí nové generace
- Operačn-í program Podnikání a inovace pro konkurenceschopnost 2014– 2020
- Consultation on coverage, identification of intervention areas
- Non-subsidy support/ Akční plán k provádění Národního plánu rozvoje sítí nové generace
- VYSOKORYCHLOSTNÍ INTERNET