The Digital Economy and Society Index (DESI)
Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and the Netherlands have the most advanced digital economies in the EU followed by Luxembourg, Ireland, the UK, Belgium and Estonia. Romania, Greece and Italy have the lowest scores on the DESI.
In 2017, all Member States improved in the DESI. Ireland and Spain progressed the most (close to 5 points as opposed to an EU average of 3.2). On the other hand, there was low increase in Denmark and Portugal (below 2 points).
- Download the new DESI Report 2018:
- Connectivity - Broadband market developments in the EU (PDF)
- Human Capital - Digital Inclusion and Skills (PDF)
- Use of Internet Services (PDF)
- Integration of Digital Technology (PDF)
- Digital Public Services (PDF)
- The EU ICT Sector and its R&D Performance (PDF)
- Research and Innovation: ICT projects in Horizon 2020 Digital (PDF)
- Review country performance - Country Profiles
- Explore DESI Report Telecoms Chapters
- Explore DESI Data
DESI 2018 - Key Findings
The Connectivity dimension measures the deployment of broadband infrastructure and its quality. Access to fast and ultrafast broadband-enabled services is a necessary condition for competitiveness.
Read more about Connectivity
2. Human Capital/Digital skills
The Human Capital dimension measures the skills needed to take advantage of the possibilities offered by digital.
Read more about Human Capital/Digital skills
3. Use of Internet Services by citizens
The Use of Internet Services dimension accounts for a variety of online activities, such as the consumption of online content (videos, music, games, etc.) video calls as well as online shopping and banking.
Read more about Use of Internet Services by citizens
4. Integration of Digital Technology by businesses
The Integration of Digital Technology dimension measures the digitisation of businesses and e-commerce. By adopting digital technologies, businesses can enhance efficiency, reduce costs and better engage customers and business partners. Furthermore, the Internet as a sales outlet offers access to wider markets and potential for growth.
Read more about Integration of Digital Technology by businesses
5. Digital Public Services
The Digital Public Services dimension measures the digitisation of public services, focusing on eGovernment and eHealth. Modernisation and digitisation of public services can lead to efficiency gains for the public administration, citizens and businesses alike.
Read more about Digital Public Service
6. Research and Development ICT
The Research and Development ICT presents analysis on the trends of ICT Sector and R&D provided by the European Commission as well as external studies conducted at the request of the European Commission.
Read more about Reasearch and Development ICT
The International Digital Economy and Society Index (I-DESI) mirrors and extends the EU28 Digital Economy and Society Index by utilising 24 datasets to enable trend analysis and comparison of the digital performance of 45 countries.
- Digital Scoreboard and Digital Agenda key indicators
- List of indicators, their definitions and sources for DESI 2018
- Methodological note on DESI 2018
- Configure your own DESI through DESI Simulation Tool
- Review Eurostat Comprehensive Database
- Explore Prospective Insights in ICT R&D - PREDICT
- Monitor for ICT online vacancies
- Review the Europe's Digital Progress Report for 2017