Slavishly trying to replicate US business models undermines creativity and innovation in the EU We should invest far more in the business model and not just the platforms etc of the digital economy
Colum, do you see a public role in facilitating and encouraging investments in new business models?
Take here in Ireland: If you sell physical products the turnover threshold for having to declare / charge VAT is €74,000 .
For digital / services it is only €35,000. ABSOLUTE LUNACY.
How does that encourage the Digital economy? The information society etc?
1) There should be direct public support for skills development far closer to the business community.
2) Individual Business communities should be ASKED what they want courses / support on.
3) There should be business model innovation support not the sexed up "Cash for Techno Bling" focus of today
4) Support application processes should be simplified
5) Every supported project should have to report on results
6) Public authorities should engage in joined up thinking
what you say about VAT mechanisms, I agree. government people always talk about subsidies or free grants but that is pure propaganda, sometimes even ignorance on behalf of the people who propose it. subsidies and free grants are not allowed in the EU. people in government need to be more creative and know how the ecosystem works bettter.
also, why not a single vat system throughout europe? i know that goes beyond the scope of the European Union but desperate times call for desperate measures!
@njoyccol, could you explain me what you mean "There should be business model innovation support"? how is that achieved?