About the Legal Service
Activities of the Legal Service
- The Commission’s legal adviser
- The Commission’s legal representative
- Helping to improve the quality of drafting of EU legislation
Mission of the Legal Service
The mission of the Legal Service is twofold:
- To give legal advice to the Commission in its functions:
- of drafting legislation;
- of conducting international negotiations;
- of acting as guardian of the Treaties;
- of exercising the implementing powers conferred on it by the
Community legislator or by the Treaties.
- To represent the Commission in all litigation, in particular before the European Court of Justice.