The EU’s strategic framework for cultural heritage consists of the following elements:
- European Commission Communication: "Towards an integrated approach to cultural heritage for Europe" (2014). See also the accompanying press release.
- New European Agenda for Culture (2018): protecting and promoting Europe's cultural heritage as a shared resource is one of the strategic objectives.
- The European Council 2019-22 Work Plan for Culture (2018) sets out five main priorities for European cooperation in cultural policy-making, including sustainability of cultural heritage.
- The European Framework for Action on Cultural Heritage (2018) captures and scales up the success of the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018. It reflects the common set-up for heritage-related activities at European level, primarily in EU policies and programmes, and includes around 60 actions implemented by the European Commission in 2019 and 2020.
Learn more about the EU’s role in the field
- Commission Staff Working Document - European Framework for Action on Cultural Heritage (available in the 24 EU languages)
- Report on the implementation of the European Year of Cultural Heritage (Staff Working Document)
- Factsheet about the European Framework for Action on Cultural Heritage - factsheet
- Related press release on this framework
- Commission Communication: New European Agenda for Culture – Staff Working Document
- Commission Communication: 2007 European Agenda for Culture
- Council Resolution on a European Agenda for Culture, 2007
- Council Work Plan for Culture, 2019-2022
- Council Work Plan for Culture, 2015-2018
- Report on the implementation of the European Agenda for Culture
- Special Eurobarometer on cultural heritage