- Strategic Framework
- Cultural & creative industries
- Culture sector support
- Audiovisual sector support
- International cooperation
- New Narrative for Europe
The European Year aims to make cultural heritage accessible to all by removing social, cultural and physical barriers. The Year also aims to engage local communities and help people to rediscover how much of our heritage is shared. Putting our common values, shared history and heritage in the spotlight can contribute to and reinforce a sense of belonging in Europe, and ultimately bring us closer together.
General public, local communities, older people and hard-to-reach groups including people with special needs and those at risk of social exclusion.
The initiative has four main components:
SPECIAL EUROPEAN YEAR OF CULTURAL HERITAGE EDITION OF THE EUROPEAN HERITAGE DAYS
Every year, over 30 million people of all ages enjoy accessto rarely opened sites and unique events across Europe as part of the European Heritage Days (EHDs). In 2018, this popular initiative will help to reinforce the European Year of Cultural Heritage. Three new activities will be implemented from 2018:
• A ‘Call for European Heritage Stories’ to collect testimonies of how communities understand the European dimension of their local heritage;
• A ‘European Heritage Makers Week’ to inspire children and youth to explore their surroundings, discover the European dimension of their local heritage and share their stories;
• ‘Funding trans-border projects’, to enable the realisation of small-scale cross-border projects.
• April-May 2018
SPECIAL EUROPEAN YEAR OF CULTURAL HERITAGE EDITIONS OF THE EU PRIZE FOR CULTURAL HERITAGE/EUROPA NOSTRA AWARD THE EUROPEAN HERITAGE LABEL
The EU Prize for Cultural Heritage/Europa Nostra Awards recognises best practices in the conservation, management, research, education and communication of Europe’s shared heritage. The 2018 award ceremony will take place in June during a high-level European Heritage Summit in Berlin, organised by Europa Nostra, the German Cultural Heritage Committee and the Foundation of Prussian Cultural Heritage.
The European Heritage Label (EHL) celebrates heritage sites that symbolise European ideals, values, history and integration. In 2018, a touring exhibition of European Heritage Label sites will be launched and a high-level award ceremony for nine new labelled sites organised.
• 26 March 2018
SHARING HERITAGE, DIGITALLY
Three projects will encourage sharing heritage through digital means:
• Interactive map-based interface for cultural heritage being developed by the Joint Research Centre (JRC)
allowing users to explore cultural heritage initiatives in their surroundings, such as the European capitals of Culture, the European Heritage Label sites and the sites having been awarded EU cultural prizes.
• Connecting European Citizens through their shared culture with Europeana Migration & Europeana 1914-1918 Collections
Two events will be held in 2018: Europeana Migration and Europeana 1914-1918 on the centenary of the end of World War I.
• Europa Nostra’s #Ode2Joy Challenge
Participants are invited to create a video of their interpretation of Beethoven & Schiller’s ‘Ode to Joy’ and post their performance on social media.
• 15-17 March 2018
REMOVING BARRIERS AND INCREASING ACCESS TO CULTURAL HERITAGE
Physical, social and geographical barriers hindering participation to cultural heritage will be tackled through two different projects:
• The European Union Access City Award (ACA) will recognise cities that have done outstanding work in making their cultural heritage accessible.
• The WeAre#EuropeForCulture project, will promote heritage among hard-to-reach groups and will hold pop-up exhibitions in venues such as retirement homes.
• The EuropeanaTech 2018 conference will discuss how best to share and embrace technologies that allow us to share our cultural heritage digitally.
• 15-16 May 2018
• Commission services dealing with culture, education,
social inclusion and employment
• The Joint Research Centre (JRC)
• Council of Europe, partner for the EHDs
• European Heritage Sites, European Heritage Days,
Network of European Heritage Label sites, Europa Nostra
• European Disability Forum.