Watch the speech
On Wednesday 13 September 2017, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, delivered his annual speech on the State of the European Union.
President Juncker said: "The wind is back in Europe's sails. But we will go nowhere unless we catch that wind. (…) We should chart the direction for the future. As Mark Twain wrote, years from now we will be more disappointed by the things we did not do, than by the ones we did. Now is the time to build a more united, stronger and more democratic Europe for 2025."
To steer the reform agenda set out in his speech, President Juncker proposed a Roadmap for a More United, Stronger and More Democratic Union. A series of concrete initiatives were immediately adopted by the Commission - on trade, investment screening, cybersecurity, industry, data and democracy.
- Roadmap for a more United, Stronger and more Democratic Union
- The Economic and Monetary Union today
- A European Minister of Economy and Finance
- EU Structural Reform Support Service (SRSS)
- A European Labour Authority
- Posting of Workers in the EU
- Dual Quality of Food
- Better Regulation
- The EU’s Key Partnership with Africa
- European Solidarity Corps: One Year On
Other State of the Union press material
What's been said on social media
Send us your comments
The views of the public are important. The Commission has been actively engaging with communities around Europe to gauge their views on their priorities for Europe looking ahead.