- Total financing under the European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI) in Italy amounts to €9.8 billion and is set to trigger €63.6 billion in additional investments
Infrastructure and innovation projects
- 81 approved projects financed by the European Investment Bank (EIB) with EFSI backing
- approximately €7 billion in total financing
- set to trigger €30.8 billion in total investment
Small and medium enterprises (SMEs)
- 78 approved agreements with intermediary banks or funds financed by European Investment Fund (EIF) with EFSI backing
- €2.8 billion in total financing
- set to trigger approximately €32.9 billion in investments with some 287,340 SMEs and mid-cap companies expected to benefit from improved access to finance
Examples of EFSI-backed projects in Italy
- EFSI-backed financing: €200 million
- set to trigger total investment: €542 million
Acquedotto pugliese is the largest integrated water services operator in Southern Italy. The EIB is providing €200 million in financing to upgrade the water network, and invest in water treatment facilities to increase the availability and quality of the drinking water distributed to the local population. The project aims to reduce water waste, maintain the efficiency of the facilities, improve water quality, increase the amount of water available per capita, and extend the areas covered by water and wastewater services.
- EFSI-backed financing: €70 million
- set to trigger total investment: €267 million
The EIB is providing €70 million under the Investment Plan to Ospedal Grando S.p.A., to support the design, construction and operation of the new Cittadella della Salute within the Ca' Foncello Hospital in Treviso. The project entails the refurbishment of some existing buildings and the construction of new facilities, including an enhanced medical centre with almost 1,000 beds and new research and logistical centres. The new and refurbished buildings will meet higher energy standards allowing for savings and CO2 emissions reduction.
- EFSI-backed financing: €300 million
- set to trigger total investment: €620 million
The EIB is providing €300 million to Italgas to roll out gas meters in Italy. The project aims to improve efficiency of the gas distribution system, increase customer information and awareness, while facilitating remote reading.
- EFSI-backed financing: €100 million
- set to trigger total investment: €180 million
The EIB is lending Dolomiti Energia €100 million to renew and develop its gas and electricity distribution networks. The financing will strengthen and maintain hydroelectric plants in the province of Trento in northern Italy, the main area in which Dolomiti Energia operates and employs 1,400 people.
- EFSI-backed financing: €500 million
- set to trigger total investment: €1808 million
The EIB is providing €500 million to Telecom Italia for the rollout of a new broadband access network - combined fibre and copper solutions - for ultra-high-speed broadband services in Italy. As a result of this financing, 7 million more households will benefit from high speed broadband, increasing the population coverage by 32% to 60% of all Italian households.
Umbria Legno is a young company specialising in designing and manufacturing wooden garden furniture. Being a start-up with no credit history, Umbria Legno struggled to access financing to grow their business. The solution came through a bank loan with the help of Confidicoop Marche, backed by the Investment Plan for Europe. The business is now growing and taking on new staff.