- Strengthening relations with the EU’s neighbouring countries.
- Ensuring a credible European Union perspective for the Western Balkans, including progressing on the accession process, such as through merit-based country assessments.
- Supporting proposals on opening enlargement negotiations with the Republic of North Macedonia and the Republic of Albania.
- Speeding up structural and institutional reforms in the Western Balkans, with a strong focus on the rule of law, economic development and public administration reforms.
- Promoting good neighbourly relations and the resolution of bilateral disputes within the Western Balkans region.
- Working closely with Turkey as a key EU partner and addressing common challenges, together with the High Representative/Vice-President.
- Strengthening relations with the Eastern Partnership countries and introducing new long-term policy objectives for the Eastern Partnership.
- Speeding up implementation of the Association Agreements and Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Areas with Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova, making full use of the Support Group for Ukraine.
- Reviewing priorities and Association Agendas with each partner, setting clear objectives for reforms and economic development.
- Promoting good governance, environmental protection, the fight against corruption, the rule of law and respecting the role of independent media and civil society.
- Exploring a comprehensive partnership to manage effective migration and support economic growth and jobs.
- Optimising EU financial instruments, including through innovative approaches to financial support and public–private partnerships.
- Ensuring coordination of relations with the European Economic Area, in consultation with the High Representative/Vice-President.
- Representing the Commission in the EU Foreign Affairs Council and coordinating the presence of other Members of the College as required.
Appointments and meetings
As part of the Commission’s commitment to transparency, Commissioners and their members of Cabinet publish information on meetings held with organisations or self-employed individuals.
- Meetings with Commissioner Várhelyi
- Meetings with the Commissioner’s Cabinet
- Missions of Commissioner Várhelyi
In line with the Commission's Code of Conduct for Members of the Commission, each Commissioner publishes a Declaration of Interests.
A signed, authentic version is published at the bottom of this page.
A machine-readable version of all Declarations is also published. This is in line with the requirements of the Code of Conduct.
The Declarations of Interests follow the requirements set out in Article 3 and in Annex 1 of the new Code of Conduct for Commissioners.
Commissioner for Neighbourhood and Enlargement/Member of the European Commission
2019 - present
Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Hungary to the EU
2015 - 2019
Deputy Permanent Representative of Hungary to the EU
Head of Unit on Industrial Property Rights, Directorate-General for Internal Market and Services, European Commission
Head of the European Union Law Department, Ministry of Justice, Hungary
Head of Cabinet, Head of the Legal Unit, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cabinet of the Deputy Head of the State Secretary for Integration, Hungary