- Developing an integrated, interconnected and properly functioning European energy market.
- Ensuring rapid implementation of energy-efficiency and renewable-energy legislation, while assessing the need to review legislation where appropriate.
- Implementing the European Green Deal in the energy sector and supporting Member States towards their goals, notably with National Energy and Climate Plans.
- Respecting the energy-efficiency-first principle, improving the energy performance of buildings and the rate of renovations.
- Promoting clean energy and renewables through better interconnectivity and energy storage.
- Scaling up investment in clean energy through the European Green Deal Investment Plan.
- Supporting smart integration of the electricity, heating, transport and industry sectors.
- Helping to meet the EU’s electricity interconnection target, enhancing cross-border and regional cooperation.
- Diversifying sources of supply at competitive prices, maximising the potential of affordable liquefied natural gas.
- Contributing to the design of the Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism and the review of the Energy Taxation Directive.
- Further strengthening nuclear safety and safeguards, continuing nuclear decommissioning.
- Make full use of the EU Treaties in adopting proposals on energy by co-decision and qualified majority voting.
- Developing the Just Transition Fund to support those most affected by the ‘green transition’.
- Empowering consumers at the heart of the EU’s energy system.
European Parliament hearings
Appointments and meetings
As part of the Commission’s commitment to transparency, Commissioners and their members of Cabinet publish information on meetings held with organisations or self-employed individuals.
- Meeting with Commissioner Simson
- Meetings with the Commissioner's Cabinet
- Missions of Commissioner Simson
In line with the Commission's Code of Conduct for Members of the Commission, each Commissioner publishes a Declaration of Interests.
A signed, authentic version is published at the bottom of this page.
A machine-readable version of all Declarations is also published. This is in line with the requirements of the Code of Conduct.
The Declarations of Interests follow the requirements set out in Article 3 and in Annex 1 of the new Code of Conduct for Commissioners.
European Commissioner for Energy
Member of the Riigikogu (Estonian Parliament)
2007-2016 and 2019
Minister of Economic Affairs and Infrastructure, Estonia
Member of the Riigikogu and Chairman of the Estonian Centre Party faction (as of 2009)
Secretary-General of the Estonian Centre Party
Advisor to the Mayor of Tallinn