- Strengthening the EU's social dimension and ensuring support for workers and job seekers.
- Developing an action plan to implement the European Pillar of Social Rights, in full respect of the subsidiarity principle, and promoting dialogue with social partners.
- Developing a legal instrument to ensure workers in the EU have a fair minimum wage.
- Closely observing EU laws to ensure dignified, transparent and predictable working conditions and looking at ways to improve the labour conditions of platform workers.
- Helping to design a European Unemployment Benefit Reinsurance Scheme and supporting the European Labour Authority.
- Developing a European Social Fund+ to improve job creation, productivity and mobility.
- Working with Member States to strengthen social protection systems in Europe.
- Reinforcing the Youth Guarantee and developing a European Child Guarantee to fight poverty and secure children’s access to basic services.
- Developing a European Action Plan for Social Economy to enhance social innovation.
- Leading the Commission’s work on implementing and updating skills agenda, focusing on filling skills shortages and reskilling.
European Parliament hearings
Appointments and meetings
As part of the Commission’s commitment to transparency, Commissioners and their members of Cabinet publish information on meetings held with organisations or self-employed individuals.
- Meetings with Commissioner Schmit
- Meetings with the Commissioner’s Cabinet
- Missions of Commissioner Schmit
In line with the Commission's Code of Conduct for Members of the Commission, each Commissioner publishes a Declaration of Interests.
A signed, authentic version is published at the bottom of this page.
A machine-readable version of all Declarations is also published. This is in line with the requirements of the Code of Conduct.
The Declarations of Interests follow the requirements set out in Article 3 and in Annex 1 of the new Code of Conduct for Commissioners.
European Commissioner for Jobs and Social Rights
2019 - present
Member of the European Parliament
Minister for Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy, Luxembourg
2013 - 2018
Minister for Labour, Employment and Immigration, Luxembourg
2009 - 2013
Minister Delegate for Foreign Affairs and Immigration
2004 - 2009
Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Luxembourg to the EU
1998 - 2004
Member of the Council of State, Luxembourg
1991 - 2004