Rue de la Loi / Wetstraat 200
- Ensuring the rule of law is upheld, including with the European Rule of Law Mechanism.
- Coordinating the Commission’s objective annual reporting, ensuring the same monitoring approach is applied in all Member States.
- Preventing and identifying breaches of the rule of law, supporting an early resolution of issues and proposing an effective, proportionate and dissuasive response as a last resort.
- Focusing on tighter enforcement using, as a basis, ECJ judgments on the impact of breaches of the rule of law on EU law.
- Deepening cooperation with international organisations, including the Council of Europe.
- Leading on consumer empowerment and protection and protecting citizens’ rights.
- Improving judicial cooperation and the exchange of information between Member States and developing the justice area.
- Maximising the potential of new digital technologies to improve the EU’s justice systems.
- Cementing the role of justice policy in the fight terrorism and extremism and all aspects of the Security Union.
- Supporting the European Public Prosecutor’s Office, including extending its powers to investigate and prosecute in cases of cross-border terrorism.
- Ensuring full implementation and enforcement of the General Data Protection Regulation and promoting the European approach as a global model.
- Contributing to legislation towards a coordinated approach on the human and ethical implications of artificial intelligence.
- Ensuring company law contributes to the strategy on small and medium-sized businesses.
European Parliament hearings
As part of the Commission’s commitment to transparency, Commissioners and their members of Cabinet publish information on meetings held with organisations or self-employed individuals.
- Meetings with Commissioner Reynders
- Meetings with the Commissioner’s Cabinet
- Missions of Commissioner Reynders
In line with the Commission's Code of Conduct for Members of the Commission, each Commissioner publishes a Declaration of Interests.
A signed, authentic version is published at the bottom of this page.
A machine-readable version of all Declarations is also published. This is in line with the requirements of the Code of Conduct.
The Declarations of Interests follow the requirements set out in Article 3 and in Annex 1 of the new Code of Conduct for Commissioners.
European Commissioner for Justice
2019 - present
Deputy Prime Minister, Belgium
2014 - 2019
Minister of Foreign and European Affairs, and Defence, Belgium
2018 - 2019
Minister of Foreign and European Affairs, Belgium
2014 - 2018
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and European Affairs, Belgium
2011 - 2014
Minister of Finance, Belgium
1999 - 2011
Minister in charge of the National Lottery, Federal Holding and Investment Company and insurance companies, Belgium
2007 - 2011
Minister of Institutional Reforms, Belgium
2004 - 2011