- Protecting our environment while maintaining Europe's competitiveness.
- Harnessing the potential of our land and seas to create sustainable jobs that preserve our natural resources.
- Implementing the new Common Fisheries Policy.
- Leading the task, with our global partners, of defining the management and governance of our planet’s oceans.
Karmenu Vella is part of the following Project Teams:
- Jobs, Growth, Investment and Competitiveness
- Energy Union
- Better Regulation and Interinstitutional Affairs
- Budget and Human Resources
As part of the Commission’s commitment to transparency, Commissioners and their members of Cabinet publish information on meetings held with organisations or self-employed individuals.
- Information on meetings held by Commissioner Vella
- Information on meetings held by the Commissioner's Cabinet
- Information on missions of Commissioner Vella
In line with the Commission's Code of Conduct for Members of the Commission, each Commissioner publishes a Declaration of Interests.
A signed, authentic version is published at the bottom of this page.
A machine-readable version of all Declarations is also published. This is in line with the requirements of the Code of Conduct.
The Declarations of Interests follow the requirements set out in Article 3 and in Annex 1 of the new Code of Conduct for Commissioners [pdf].
Maltese nationality. Married with two children.
European Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
Minister for Tourism and Aviation
Chairman of the Orange Travel Group
Group Coordinator for the Labour Party Parliamentary Group
Executive Chairman of Corinthia's Mediterranean Construction Co
Executive Chairman of Corinthia Hotels International
Master's degree in Tourism Management
Minister for Public Works
Member of the Maltese Parliament
Architect, Director in various companies
Bachelor's degree in Architecture and Civil Engineering