- Ensuring the swift implementation of the steps needed to build an effective and sustainable Security Union
- Strengthening our common fight against terrorism and organised crime, including identifying where the EU can make a real difference and a greater focus on implementation and enforcement
- Reinforcing the security response to radicalisation and increasing efforts to tackle terrorist propaganda and hate speech online
- Improving information and intelligence sharing, including a stronger role for EU Agencies
- Reinforcing the capacity to protect critical infrastructures and soft targets
- Fighting cybercrime through enhanced cybersecurity and digital intelligence
- Ensuring that EU-financed security research targets the needs of security practitioners and develops solutions to forthcoming security challenges
Julian King is part of the following Project Teams:
As part of the Commission’s commitment to transparency, Commissioners and their members of Cabinet publish information on meetings held with organisations or self-employed individuals.
- Information on meetings held by Commissioner King
- Information on meetings held by the Commissioner's Cabinet
- Information on missions of Commissioner King
In line with the Commission's Code of Conduct for Members of the Commission, each Commissioner publishes a Declaration of Interests.
A signed, authentic version is published at the bottom of this page.
A machine-readable version of all Declarations is also published. This is in line with the requirements of the Code of Conduct.
The Declarations of Interests follow the requirements set out in Article 3 and in Annex 1 of the new Code of Conduct for Commissioners [pdf].
Commissioner for the Security Union
- Sept 2016 – present
HM Ambassador to France
- Feb 2016 – Sept 2016
Director-General Economic & Consular, FCO Covering Europe, Asia, Prosperity, Migration and Consular
- 2014 – 2016
Director-General of the Northern Ireland Office. Chair of the NIO Management Board and Departmental Accounting Officer
- 2011 – 2014
HM Ambassador to Ireland
- 2009 – 2011
On loan to EU Commission, Chef de Cabinet to British Commissioner (at DG Trade, responsible for EU multilateral, regional and bilateral trade negotiations)
- 2008 – 2009
UK Rep Brussels, UK Representative on EU Political and Security Committee (including Chairing PSC during 2005 UK Presidency)
- 2004 – 2008
UK MIS New York, Counsellor responsible for UN Security Council negotiations
- 2003 – 2004
UK Rep Brussels, UK Representative on Enlargement Group throughout Central European/Cyprus/Malta accession negotiations; also responsible for European defence
- 1998 – 2003
FCO, Private Secretary to Permanent Under-Secretary of State
- 1994 – 1998
FCO, Second later First Secretary working on NATO, European defence and CFSP, including spells in Luxemburg, The Hague and Lisbon
- 1990 – 1994
Paris, Third later Second Secretary, Ecole Nationale d'Administration; then Private Secretary to the Ambassador
- 1987 – 1990