- Improving border control by boosting the effectiveness of the border agency Frontex and by pooling resources from EU countries, while facilitating access for those who have a legitimate interest in entering the EU.
- Promoting a new European policy on regular migration to help the EU address skill shortages inter alia by reviewing the ‘Blue Card’ legislation.
- Making sure the common European asylum system is fully implemented, while developing a strategy to improve the response to emergency situations, with a focus on solidarity and cooperation with non-EU countries.
- Dealing with irregular migration, including by ensuring smooth return, in cooperation with non-EU Member States.
- Identifying where the EU can make a real difference in fighting terrorism and radicalisation, with an emphasis on addressing the problem of foreign fighters.
- Focusing on the fight against crime that undermines EU policies, such as human trafficking, smuggling and cybercrime, and by helping to tackle corruption, including by strengthening police cooperation.
- Reaching out to citizens, notably by making use of the ‘Europe for Citizens’ programme.
Dimitris Avramopoulos is part of the following Project Teams:
- Jobs, Growth, Investment and Competitiveness
- Better Regulation and Interinstitutional Affairs
- Budget and Human Resources
- Europe in the World
As part of the Commission’s commitment to transparency, Commissioners and their members of Cabinet publish information on meetings held with organisations or self-employed individuals.
- Information on meetings held by Commissioner Avramopoulos
- Information on meetings held by the Commissioner's Cabinet
- Information on missions of Commissioner Avramopoulos
In line with the Commission's Code of Conduct for Members of the Commission, each Commissioner publishes a Declaration of Interests.
A signed, authentic version is published at the bottom of this page.
A machine-readable version of all Declarations is also published. This is in line with the requirements of the Code of Conduct.
The Declarations of Interests follow the requirements set out in Article 3 and in Annex 1 of the new Code of Conduct for Commissioners [pdf].
Greek nationality. Married with two children.
European Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship
Minister of National Defence
Minister of National Defence
Vice President of the Greek New Democracy Party
Minister of Health and Social Solidarity
Minister of Tourist Development
Honorary President of the Athens' International Prize for Democracy
Bureau Vice President and Member of the Committee of the Regions of the EU
Mayor of Athens
President of the Greek Free Citizens Movement Party
Director of the Diplomatic Cabinet of the Greek Prime Minister, Costas Mitsotakis
Special 'licence' in European Studies from the Université Libre de Bruxelles
Postgraduate specialisation course on international organisation at the Boston University in Brussels
Military service in the Greek air force
Bachelor of Arts in Public Law and Political Science from Athens University