This webpage on negotiations under Article 50 is no longer updated. For information on the negotiations on the future partnership between the European Union and the United Kingdom, please click here.
Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union sets out the procedure for a Member State to withdraw from the European Union. Following the UK's notification of its intention to leave the EU, negotiations began on 19 June 2017. The EU and UK negotiators agreed on the "Terms of Reference for the Article 50 TEU negotiations" which stipulates the structure of the negotiations, dates and priorities for future negotiating rounds.
In the meantime, the UK remains a full member of the EU. This means that all existing EU rights and obligations continue to apply to the UK.
European Council guidelines and conclusions
17 October 2019 – European Council (Article 50) conclusions (endorsing the agreement on the Withdrawal Agreement, including a revised Protocol on Ireland / Northern Ireland, and approving a revised Political Declaration on the framework of the future EU-UK relationship)
The Commission's approach to transparency
The Article 50 negotiations with the United Kingdom are unique and differ from any other negotiation conducted by the European Union to date. Given their unprecedented nature, the European Commission has decided to adopt a tailor-made approach to transparency.
On 11 February 2019, the European Ombudsman published its report on transparency in the Brexit negotiations, concluding that the European Commission ensured a very high level of transparency throughout the negotiations. This “served to enhance the legitimacy of the Commission and the EU in these negotiations. It has also helped keep the EU united as all key stakeholders were informed at every step.”
The Commission's Chief Negotiator, Michel Barnier, and Task Force Article 50 are regularly reaching out to stakeholders.
- Key documents and timeline on the website of the Council
- Text of the Withdrawal Agreement in all EU official languages: Proposal for a COUNCIL DECISION on the signing, on behalf of the European Union and of the European Atomic Energy Community, of the Agreement on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community (COM/2018/833 final)
- Questions and answers on the Withdrawal Agreement, Questions and Answers on the Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland, and Outline of the Political Declaration on the Framework of the Future Relationship, published on 14 November 2018
- Questions and Answers – the rights of EU and UK citizens, as outlined in the Withdrawal Agreement
- Latest press briefings /Latest statements and speeches
- All slides presented by the Task Force Article 50 and other Negotiating documents on Article 50 negotiations with the United Kingdom