Klimata politika

Business portal

Licences & reporting for uses in the EU

The import and export of ozone-depleting substances (ODS), as well as their production for laboratory and analytical uses, are subject to licensing requirements.

These activities, along with destruction of ODS, feedstock uses and process agent uses, are also subject to annual reporting requirements.

Furthermore, the production of ODS for laboratory and analytical uses is subject to registration requirements.

For these purposes, enter one of the two electronic systems: ​the ODS Licensing System (for licensing and reporting) or the labODS registry (for laboratory and analytical uses).

ODS Licensing System

When to go to the ODS Licensing System? How to use the ODS Licensing System?

Log-in to the ODS Licensing System if you want to:

  • Apply for an ODS import or export licence
  • Apply for an ODS production authorisation
  • Apply for ODS quota
  • Complete an annual report on consumption of ODS

Manuals for the ODS Licensing System:

If you need more information on the ODS Licensing System, please consult the manuals

LabODS registry

LabODS declarations are required from:

  • End users of ODS in laboratories
  • EU internal distributors who place ODS for laboratory and analytical uses on the market.
When to use the labODS registry? How to use the labODS registry?

Log-in to the labODS registry if you want to:

  • Obtain a labODS number
  • Update an existing labODS declaration

Manuals for the labODS system:

  • If you need more information on the labODS registry, please consult the manuals

Withdrawal of the United Kingdom and EU rules in the field of import/export licenses

The withdrawal of the United Kingdom takes effect on 1 February 2020. From that date, the United Kingdom will be a third country. However, during the transition period, which ends on 31 December 2020, the Ozone Regulation (EC) 1005/2009 continues to be applicable to and in the United Kingdom.

Once the transition period ends on 31 December 2020 shipments of ozone-depleting substances from the EU-27 to the United Kingdom and vice-versa will require an import/export licence.

Guidance on the specific requirements applicable to companies operating in Northern Ireland after the end of the transition period will be provided at a later stage.