Integrated national energy and climate plans
The plans cover the five dimensions of the Energy Union:
- decarbonisation (greenhouse gas reduction and renewables)
- energy security
- energy efficiency
- internal energy market
- research, innovation and competitiveness
Member States will need to update their national energy and climate plans by the end of June 2023 in a draft form and by 30 June 2024 in a final form in order to reflect an increased ambition.
Until then, Member States can adapt national policies and measures at any time, provided such changes are included in the biennial integrated national energy and climate progress reports to the Commission.
National long-term strategies
Member States are also required to develop national long-term strategies and ensure consistency between these strategies and their national energy and climate plans.
It also lays down a monitoring mechanism for greenhouse gas emissions and other climate information so that the EU will be able to comply with its reporting obligations under the UNFCCC and Paris Agreement.
Integrated national energy and climate progress reporting
The Commission monitors the progress of the EU as a whole, in particular as part of the annual State of the Energy Union report.
Member States will report on the progress made in implementing their energy and climate policies, including their national energy and climate plans, for the first time in March 2023.
- 14/10/2020 - SWD(2020) 900-926 - Commission individual assessment of final national energy and climate plans
- 17/09/2020 - COM(2020) 564 - An EU-wide assessment of National Energy and Climate Plans
- 11/12/2018 - Regulation (EU) 2018/1999 on the Governance of the Energy Union and Climate
- 23/02/2017 - COM (2016) 759 - Commission proposal for a Regulation on the Governance of the Energy Union
- 30/11/2016 - SWD (2016) 394 - Impact assessment; executive summary
- 30/11/2016 - SWD (2016) 396 - Fitness check; executive summary
- 18/11/2015 - COM (2015) 572 - Guidance to Member States on national energy and climate plans as part of the Energy Union Governance (annex to State of the Energy Union 2015)