Use water responsibly. Only 2.5% of water on the Earth is fresh water. Of this, over two‑thirds is frozen in glaciers and polar ice caps.
- Reducing your hot water use saves energy – and money! Install aerated taps and showerheads to cut down your water consumption.
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth. A running tap wastes up to 8 litres of water a minute!
- If a tap drips, fix it. Otherwise, you could waste up to 1 litre of water per hour, which is the equivalent of an entire bathtub in a week.
- Check your toilet for leaks. A leaking toilet can waste 200 litres of water per day − the same as flushing it 50 times.
- Water your plants in the late evening or early morning, when less water is lost through evaporation.
- Use a thermos flask. When you boil water for a hot drink, boil only what you need, or pour the surplus into a thermos flask to keep the water hot for your next cup.