Nachrichten / Veranstaltungen
The "Europe for Citizens" funding programme for the period 2014-2020 is officially adopted!
On 14 April 2014, the Council of the European Union has unanimously adopted the Regulation setting up the 'Europe for Citizens' programme for the period 2014-2020.
This EU programme offers funding support in two thematic areas:
- "European Remembrance": This strand of the programme focusses on Europe as a peace project. We must keep the memories of the past alive while we build the future. The programme will support initiatives which reflect on the causes of the totalitarian regimes that blighted Europe's modern history, look at its other defining moments and reference points, and consider different historical perspectives. Remembering the lessons of the past is a pre-requisite for building a brighter future.
- "Democratic engagement and civic participation": This part of the programme aims at strengthening the general public's understanding of how EU policies are shaped today. It also fosters the close involvement of civil society in European policy-making. Citizens' organisations can draw on funding to encourage and develop the responsible, democratic civic engagement of the general public in the processes of European integration.
- Publication of the Regulation setting up the programme in the Official Journal and entry into force the same day (by the end of April);
- Establishment of the programme committee, adoption of its rules of procedure and of the annual work programme for 2014 that includes the annual priorities for 2014 (by beginning of May).
- Publication of the programme guide that includes information on funding opportunities, application procedures and a calendar for the submission of applications (by beginning of May). The first deadline for submission of applications for town twinning projects, networks of twinned towns and remembrance projects is provisionally set for 4June 2014; the second deadline for submission of applications for town twinning projects, networks of twinned towns and civil society projects is provisionally set for 1 September 2014.
- Selection of the beneficiaries of Operating Grants offered through the funding programme, and signature of the associated award decisions (June).
For more information: