Grant Funding for CEF eTranslation Now Available
European Commission 2018
Don't miss the 2018-2, 2018-3 and 2018-5 CEF Telecom calls Virtual Info Day on Thursday, 17 May 2018- 10:00
Supported by the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF), the call for proposals (CEF-TC-2018-2) provides grant funding of up to € 5 million to support the adoption of CEF eTranslation in your organisation. CEF funding covers up to 75% of the implementation costs. The deadline for applications is 18 September 2018.
Multilingualism is one of the greatest assets of cultural diversity in Europe and, at the same time, one of the most substantial challenges for the creation of a truly integrated EU.
CEF eTranslation helps European and national public administrations exchange information across language barriers in the EU, by providing machine translation capabilities that will enable all Digital Service Infrastructures (DSIs) to be multilingual.
The eTranslation service allows users to instantly translate words, sentences, full documents, and websites from one language to another. It provides a machine translation service between any pair of EU official languages, Icelandic and Norwegian (Bokmål). Translations are performed at speeds of up to one sentence per second – infinitely faster than any human can translate.
Below you will find some key information needed to submit a grant proposal. However, you will need to read thoroughly the Call Text and supporting documentation, which outlines the objectives of the grant funding and how to apply, before submission. The Innovation & Networks Executive Agency (INEA) provides the call text and supporting information on grants. INEA is responsible for organising CEF calls for proposals.
Broadly, CEF eTranslation funding in 2018 supports the following activities:
- Collaborative language resource projects to make language resource provision to CEF eTranslation easier. This will include identification, processing (anonymization, aggregation, alignment, conversion, etc.) and collecting language resources in the Member States. Priority will be given to language resources in those CEF languages for which there is not enough data available to offer good quality automated translation services (so called "under-resourced" languages). Priority will also be given to language resources in the domains relevant for the CEF Digital 2018 Service Infrastructures (DSIs), taking into account the demand for addressing the specific language or DSI. Generic language resources may also be targeted to improve the overall quality of eTranslation for a broader set of text styles and to extend its lexical coverage.
- Integration projects to make online services multilingual with existing technology, working on real systems (CEF DSIs and/or national online services and portals related to CEF DSI services). Projects are expected to use the eTranslation service (alone or in combination with other non-commercial/commercial tools and services) and are expected to become fully functional and integrated in the relevant services within the duration of the project.
Interested in applying? Be sure to check you fulfil the necessary submission criteria (as defined in the 2018 Work Programme and Article 9 of the CEF Regulation):
- The proposal must include the agreement of the concerned Member State(s);
- The composition of the proposing consortium complies with the requirements set out in the 2018 Work Programme and call text;
- The proposal is submitted by legal persons as referred to in section 4.3.1 of the 2018 Work Programme
The proposals will be evaluated on the basis of three criteria: ‘Relevance’, ‘Quality and efficiency of the implementation’ and ‘Impact’.
The timetable for this call for proposals is as follows:
Date of publication of call for proposals
3 May 2018
Deadline for the submission of proposals
18 September 2018 (17:00.00 Brussels time)
Evaluation of proposals
October-December 2018 (indicative)
Consultation of the CEF Committee
January 2019 (indicative)
Adoption of the Selection Decision
January 2019 (indicative)
Preparation and signature of grant agreements
between January and June 2019 (indicative)
Still have questions?
Register for the 2018-2 CEF Telecom calls Virtual Info Day;
- Send an email to INEA-CEF-TELECOMCALLS@ec.europa.eu;
- Browse INEA's Frequently Asked Questions;
- Follow INEA on Twitter @inea_eu or LinkedIn or visit the Build a Consortium LinkedIn group;
This page has no comments.