A14 Corridor traffic management scheme
The project concerned the installation of intelligent transport systems (ITS) solutions on a stretch of the A14 motorway in the United Kingdom. These included:
• incident detection and automatic signing;
• traffic detection systems and queue protection;
• strategic diversionary message sign information at specific junctions;
• an extensive closed circuit television (CCTV) coverage for improved incident response.
• the road network operator is able to gather real time information regarding traffic flows, possible bottlenecks and accidents.• increased safety levels for road users;• road users can use real time traffic information for better journey planning and alternative route suggestions;• queue protection systems significantly reduce the risk of rear-end accidents (average of 13% of all accidents causing injuries on the affected network);• CCTV coverage has lowered incident response time and shortens the duration of accidents.