ROOT (Research On Organized Trafficking)
"The involvement of Organized Criminal Grounds in the Trafficking of Women for Sexual Exploitation: the case study of Palermo"
INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION SOUTH SOUTH (NGO)
- Total cost of the action: EUR 293,618.70
- EU contribution: EUR 264,256.83 (90%)
24 months from 01 September 2013
- CESIE - Centro Studi ed Iniziative Europeo
- Department of Psychology - University of Palermo
- Associazione Pellegrino della Terra
- Nigerian Association Regione Sicilia (NIGARS)
- Centro Siciliano di Documentazione Giuseppe Impastato
Objectives and results
The overall aim of the project is to contribute to a real comprehension of the impact of organized crime in THB, especially in the sexual exploitation of trafficked women. Concrete objectives include:
- To stimulate, promote and develop horizontal methods and tools necessary for strategically preventing and fighting crime and guaranteeing security and public order;
- To promote and develop best practices for the protection of crime victims;
- To address specific problems related to shortage of territorial data, poor awareness and knowledge, the lack of national and local tools and procedures and lack of connections with the countries of origin.
Publications and other resources
- Final bilingual publication containing the major findings of the research which will be disseminated at European level; the project will contribute to develop a working method directed to recognize the role of the organized crime, and, specifically and the role of the mafia systems in increasing the condition of vulnerability of the victims.