Monitoring of rural development programmes: Monitoring surveys the delivery of programme outputs (i.e., goods or services financed and accomplished by the programme) to the intended beneficiaries thanks to the inputs (i.e., financial and administrative means mobilised). It is a continuous process, carried out during the execution of the programme, with the intention of correcting any deviation from operational objectives and of improving programme performance.
The Commission has drawn up and agreed with Member States a series of common indicators for monitoring rural development programming for the period 2000-2006.
- Explanatory guidelines on how to complete the common rural development monitoring indicator tables (addressed to programme management authorities)
- Common indicator tables (Excel files)
- Version 1: for monitoring rural development programmes financed by EAGGF-Guarantee Section;
- Version 2: for monitoring utilisation of modulation receipts (under Article 4 of Reg. (EC) No. 1259/1999) within rural development programmes;
- Version 3: for monitoring non-accompanying measures included in Structural Fund programmes (Objective 1 - EAGGF-Guidance Section)
Evaluation examines particular results and impacts at certain stages in the life cycle of a programme. Recognised procedures are used in a systematic manner to judge the supported interventions. Evaluation helps in designing the rural development programmes, in improving and adjusting them at the mid-term stage, in planning an appropriate follow-up and in informing the public or the budgetary authorities about the effects and the value of the public intervention.
Guideline documents and evaluation reports regarding measures under the previous Rural Development scheme (1994-1999) can be found in the chapter "Evaluation of measures applicable to agriculture".
Guidelines (rural development programmes):
- Information note: Ex post evaluation of rural development programmes 2000 - 2006
- "Common Evaluation Questions with Criteria and Indicators" (12/2000)
- Evaluation of rural development programmes 2000-2006 supported from the European Agriculture Guidance and Guarantee Fund (1999)
Important notice: For Rural Development measures under Sapard (Special accession programme for agriculture and rural development) please visit our "Enlargement" website.