|Type of Agreement |
|Agreement for scientific and technological cooperation between the European Community and the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Place of Signature|
|Date of Signature|
|Date of Entry Into Force|
|Objective of Agreement|
|To encourage, develop and facilitate cooperative activities in areas of common interest by carrying out and supporting scientific and technological research and development activities.|
|The areas of research of common interest are:
2. information and communication technologies
5. micro- and nano-technologies
6. materials research
7. clean technologies
8. sustainable management and use of environmental resources
10. health and medicine
12. metrology, standardisation and conformity assessment
13. human science.
The agreement is based on the principles of mutual benefit based on an overall balance of advantages; reciprocal access to the activities of research and technological development undertaken by each Party; timely exchange of information which may affect cooperative activities; and the appropriate protection of intellectual property rights.
The agreement provides for the participation of research entities in the cooperative activities covered by this Agreement, in accordance with their own internal policies and regulations, with a view to providing comparable opportunities for participation in their scientific research and technological development activities and making good use of the benefits thereof:
- visits and exchanges of scientists, researchers and technical experts;
- joint organisation of scientific seminars, conferences, symposia and workshops, as well as the
participation of experts in those activities;
- concerted actions such as the pooling of RTD projects already implemented in accordance with the
procedures applicable to the RTD programmes of each Party and scientific networks;
- exchange and sharing of equipment and materials;
- exchanges of information on practices, laws, regulations and programmes relevant to cooperation
under this Agreement, including information on policy in the field of science and technology;
- any other arrangements recommended by the Steering Committee to be established pursuant to
Article VI of the Agreement, which are deemed compliant with the policies and procedures
applicable in both Parties.
It is concluded for an initial period of five years and is renewable for periods of the same duration by the written agreement of the Parties.
See renewal of the Agreement (OJ L335 of 07/12/2012, p.1) attached in "View Other Relevant Treaty Information".
|Parties to the Agreement|
770-Research and Innovation
Steering Committee on scientific and technical cooperation