The full report is available
The 2010 Scoreboard draws on 25 research and innovation-related indicators and covers the 27 EU Member States, as well as Croatia, Serbia, Turkey, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. The indicators are grouped into three main categories:
- "Enablers", i.e. the basic building blocks which allow innovation to take place (human resources, finance and support, open, excellent and attractive research systems);
- "Firm activities" which show how innovative Europe's firms are (firm investments, linkages & entrepreneurship, intellectual assets); and
- "Outputs" which show how this translates into benefits for the economy as a whole (innovators, economic effects).
The Scoreboard places Member States into the following four country groups (see Figure 2):
- Innovation leaders: Denmark, Finland, Germany, Sweden all show a performance well above that of the EU27 average.
- Innovation followers: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, France, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Slovenia and the UK all show a performance close to that of the EU27 average.
- Moderate innovators: The performance of Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Spain is below that of the EU27 average.
- Modest innovators: The performance of Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania and Romania is well below that of the EU27 average.
The performance of Innovation leaders is 20% or more above that of the EU27; of Innovation followers it is less than 20% above but more than 10% below that of the EU27; of Moderate innovators it is less than 10% below but more than 50% below that of the EU27; and for Modest innovators it is below 50% that of the EU27.
Figure 1: EU Member states' innovation Performance [20 KB]
Figure 2. Indicator values relative to the EU27 (EU27=100). [19 KB]
Figure 3.Annual average growth per indicator and average country growth [15 KB]
For more information, please contact the London press office on 020 7973 1971.
Please note: all amounts expressed in sterling are for information purposes only