EstoniaEstonian Motor Vehicle Registration Centre (Eesti Riiklik Autoregistrikeskus)
Main Activities of ARK
Estonian Road Administration
- The registration of motor vehicles and their trailers, maintaining the register and archives
- Giving the right to drive and issuing driving licences, maintaining the register and archives
- Methodical guiding and monitoring the level of drivers training
- Monitoring and supervising the execution of motor vehicles and their trailers roadworthiness tests
- Confirming the type compliance with the national technical requirements for vehicles and issuing the relevant type-codes
- Monitoring and supervising the technical testing authorities executing the technical expertise of the vehicles, their parts and equipment.
The main functions of the Estonian Road Administration are:
- organising road management and creating conditions for safe traffic on the roads in the state ownership;
- exercising state supervision over the compliance with the requirements established by legislation regulating the ERA’s area of activity and, where necessary, applying enforcement powers of the state;
- participating in the development of the legislation regulating the ERA’s area of activity and making recommendations for amending and supplementing legislation, including improving Estonian terminology;
- participating in the development of policies, strategies, and development plans in the ERA’s area of activity;
- preparing and implementing projects in the ERA’s area of activity, including participating in the preparation and implementation of international projects.
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications elaborates and implements the state's economic policy and economic development plans in the following fields: industry, trade, energy, housing, building, transport (including transport infrastructure, carriage, transit, logistics and public transport), traffic management (including traffic on railways, highways, streets, waterways and airways), increasing road safety and reducing environmental hazardousness of vehicles; informatics, telecommunications, postal service and tourism; co-ordinating the development of state information systems; research and development and innovation, metrology, standardisation, certification, accreditation, licensing, registers, industrial property protection, competition surveillance, consumer protection, export promotion and trade safeguards; measures regional development and investment, related administration of minimum stocks of liquid fuel and drafting the respective legislation bills.