The aim of the Clean Transport Systems (CTS) initiative is to reduce oil dependency and contribute to the achievement of the target established for 2050 in the Transport White Paper, of 60% GHG emission reduction, by accelerating the market uptake of alternative fuels and vehicles in all transport modes in the EU.
The CTS initative will identify the policy areas where EU action is needed to stimulate the use of alternative fuels and provide industry, public sector and consumers with a clear and coherent vision on the likely market developments of alternative fuels and alternatively fuelled vehicles. It will also identify the most urgent actions.
Work for preparing this strategy is under way in several areas, including the following:
- The European Expert Group on Future Transport Fuels (Stakeholders)
- The Joint Expert Group Transport and Environment (Member States)
- A major public conference (held in Brussels in April 2011)
- A public consultation (August-October 2011)
- A scenario modelling study
- An implementation study.
Clean Transport Systems (CTS) initiative (consultation period: 11/08/2011 - 20/10/2011)