The conference aims to gather a broad range of transport users and stakeholders to discuss their views on the White Paper.
The European Commission presented in March 2011 the White Paper "Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area", a series of 40 concrete initiatives for the next decade to build a competitive transport system that will preserve mobility, remove major barriers in key areas and fuel growth and employment. At the same time, the proposals will abate Europe's dependence on imported oil and cut carbon emissions in transport by 60% by 2050.
The conference will be opened by Staffan Nilsson, President of the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) and Siim Kallas, Vice-President of the European Commission (EC), followed by interactive debates among the participants.
A wider group of transport users and stakeholders will share their viewpoint on the White Paper as well as present concrete suggestions on how to work towards reaching its ambitious goal.
Some of the big questions to be raised at this conference will be:
- How will transport providers and users be affected and how can they make a difference already today?
- Where will investment come from? What are the innovative financing instruments?
- How can policy-makers incentivise new business models more suitable for the transport system of the future?
- How can EU neighbouring countries and other third country partners be brought on board to create a common level playing field in a wider geographical area?
- Can a competitive transport system be provided without putting transport workers at risk? How will the social dimension of this major transformation be followed and constructively addressed?
These questions will be addressed during two separate sessions dedicated to the viewpoints of the users and of providers of transport.
Your remarks and suggestions ahead of the event are welcome! Please send them by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. A summary of these contributions will be presented and discussed during the debate.