Priority Project No. 6:
"Railway axis Lyon-Trieste-Divaca/Koper-Divaca-Ljubljana-Budapest-Ukrainian border"
Laurens Jan Brinkhorst was born in Zwolle, the Netherlands, on 18 March 1937.
- 1959 - Graduated in Law at the University of Leiden.
- 1961 - MA in Public law and government from Columbia University, New York.
- 1962 - Lecturer at the Europe Institute of Leiden University.
- 1965 - Director of the Europe Institute and senior lecturer in law of international organisations.
- 1967 – 1973 - Professor of European law at Groningen University.
- 1973 – 1977 - State Secretary for Foreign Affairs with the European Affairs portfolio.
- 1977 – 1982 - Member of the House of Representatives and leader of the Democrats 66 (D66) parliamentary party in 1981/1982.
- 1982 – 1987 - Head of delegation of the Commission of the European Communities in Japan.
- 1987 – 1993 - Director-General of Environment, Consumer Protection and Nuclear Safety.
- 1994 – 1999 - Member of the European Parliament from 1994 to 1999.
- 1999 – 2002 - Minister of Agriculture, Nature Management and Fisheries.
- 2003 – 2006 - Minister of Economic Affairs.
He currently occupies the chair of International law, European law and Governance at Leiden University. He is also on the Board of Directors of the Salzburg Global Seminar, originally an American institution of higher learning located in Austria. He is Senior adviser to the Director General of the European Space Agency
Since July 2008, Mr. Brinkhorst occupies the post of European Coordinator for Priority Project 6 – the railway axis Lyon-Turin-Venice-Trieste-Divaca-Ljubljana-Budapest-Ukrainian border