Since 1980: Full Professor at University of Oporto, Faculty of Engineering (Town and Country Planning: Transportation Planning: Regional Development Planning)
Since 2007: European Coordinator for the Motorways of the Sea
- Member of the Academy of Engineering (Portugal)
- Councilor-member of the Portuguese Institution of Engineers
- Member of the Board of the Entrepreneurs Association of Portugal
- President of the Municipal Assembly of Oporto (Supervisory Body of the Executive)
- Decorations: Grand Cross of Military Order of Christ (Portugal), Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry the Navigator (Portugal), Commander of the Order of Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Vila Viçosa (Portugal), Grand Cross of the Order of the Southern Cross (Brazil), the Grand-Cross of the Order of Honour (Greece), Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur (France).
On 12th March 2014 Mr De Oliveira was appointed European Coordinator for the Motorways of the Sea . His mandate will run until end of June 2014.