IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE - The information on this site is subject to adisclaimerand acopyright notice
Contact | Search on EUROPA  



Road Transport



Transport Policy

Public consultations 
The Greening Transport Package
has been adopted on 8 July 2008





January 2007
Road Transport Policy: Open roads across Europe

Transport Policy

Commission to improve the situation for truck drivers at the Russian border
With a budget of 3.500.000 Euro, the European Commission is going to support the construction of quality and secure parking areas at three border crossing points between the EU and Russia (Vaalimaa/Finland, Narva/Estonia, Terehova/Latvia).

The Greening Transport Package
The package includes both action to improve price signals to consumers and business and action to stimulate the market to offer alternatives

Internalisation of transport external costs
Commission prepares the ground for efficient and fair pricing of transport services and released a handbook with estimates of external costs in the transport sector.



Access to the market
Admission to the occupation
  Road haulage
General rules
Driver attestation
Hired vehicles
  Passenger transport
General rules
Non-EU countries
Land transport
agreement with Switzerland
EEA Agreement
Interbus agreement
Road charging
Infrastructure charging
Vehicle & fuel taxes
Tolls & user charges
for vehicles
(including Eurovignette)
Social provisions
Driving time &
rest periods
[List of Workshops]
Working time
Form of attestation of activities

Rules governing access to the market

Passenger transport

General rules

The carriage of passengers by coach and bus is subject to Regulation 684/92 of 16 March 1992, as amended by Regulation 11/98 of 11 December 1997 which lays down common rules, defines the conditions for applying the principle of free movement and simplifies the administrative procedures.

The Regulation defines the different types of coach and bus service:

(1) regular services (2) special regular services (e.g. the transport of workers or schoolchildren) (3) occasional services (e.g. the transport of a group of young people to a concert in another Member State, or a one-off tourist trip) or (4) own-account transport and related authorisations and rules.

National authorisations are still required for regular services for hire or reward. For occasional services only a journey form is needed, for special regular services a contract must be drawn up between the organiser and the transport operator and for own-account transport a certificate is required (issued by the Member State in which the vehicle is registered).

The Community license also allows hire or reward transport operators to perform international passenger transport operations on European Union territory, regardless of nationality or place of establishment.

last update: 15-12-2008