The European Commission has adopted on 10 September 2013 the NAIADES II package "Towards quality inland waterway transport". The package comprises in particular the following documents:
- a NAIADES II Communication "Towards quality inland waterway transport";
- a staff working document “Greening the fleet: reducing pollutant emissions in inland waterway transport” accompanying the Communication;
- a Proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council laying down technical requirements for inland waterway vessels and repealing Directive 2006/87/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council;
- a Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Council Regulation (EC) No 718/1999 on a Community-fleet capacity policy to promote inland waterway transport.
The NAIADES II Communication aims at creating the conditions for inland navigation transport to become a quality mode of transport. It sets out the programme for policy action in the field of inland waterway transport for the period 2014-2020. Actions are taken in the following key areas of intervention:
- Quality infrastructure
- Quality through innovation
- Smooth functioning of the market
- Environmental quality through low emissions
- Skilled workforce and quality jobs
- Integration of inland navigation into the multimodal logistics chain
The other elements of the package represent the first steps towards the implementation of the NAIADES II programme. The Staff working document is a contribution to the impact assessment of future initiatives in relation to the greening of the inland waterway fleet, the Proposal for a Directive laying down technical requirements for inland waterway vessels prepares for the implementation of a new approach to governance in inland navigation and the Proposal for a Regulation amending Council Regulation (EC) No 718/1999 intends to allow for a broader range of actions of the Reserve Funds available to support inland navigation. Moreover in the context of the River Information Service , the European Commission has adopted an implementing Regulation which introduces an harmonised electronic chart display information system (ECDIS).
The Commission regularly follows up the implementation of the NAIADES II measures .