The aim of this first EU-ASEAN Aviation Summit was to enhance strategic dialogue between the EU and ASEAN, and discuss the benefits of promoting and building closer EU-ASEAN aviation relations. The Summit was organised jointly by the European Commission Directorate-General for Mobility and Transport (DG MOVE) and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). The summit was hosted by the Government of Singapore.
The summit consisted of a series of presentations and discussions over one-and-a-half days, covering topics such as:
- single aviation markets – EU and ASEAN experiences in integrating markets, removing barriers and regulating air transport
- market outlook and business opportunities in the ASEAN, EU and ASEAN-EU aviation markets
- aviation safety – regulation and potential for cooperation
- air traffic management and airports– challenges and opportunities
- prospects for further EU-ASEAN cooperation
Top-level decision-makers involved in the European and South-East Asian aviation and aerospace industries and services:
- policy-makers – government and regulators – including Siim Kallas (EU Commissioner for Transport), Sommad Pholsena (Lao PDR Minister of Public Works and Transport and currently Chair of ASEAN Transport Ministers), and Lui Tuck Yew (Singapore Minister for Transport), who opened the summit
- senior industry executives from the public and private sectors – representing airlines, regional airline associations, airports, air navigation service providers and manufacturers
The Summit took place during the week of the Singapore Airshow 2014.