Associação In loco. Intervenção. Formação. Estudos para o Desenvolvimento Local
NGO (Local Development Organization)
III - Non-governmental organisations
Non-governmental organisations, platforms and networks and similar
Avenida da Liberdade, 101
São Brás de Alportel 8150-101
Mr Nelson Dias
President of the Board of Directors
Artur Filipe Gregorio
Secretário da Direcção
“IN LOCO” Association “
1. “IN LOCO” is a NGO formed in August 1988 in order to develop and expand, within the context of a non profit making and voluntary organization, the community development work that had begun in 1984 under the auspices of the Faro Polytechnic Institute (today, University of the Algarve).
2. In 1985 RADIAL Project had been launched, thanks to the financial support of the Dutch Foundation, Bernard van Leer. It aimed at promoting early- childhood care, community envolvement and socio-economic revitalisation of the Algarvian inland.
3. The RADIAL Project managed to create 4 children Centres, to support the constitution of 4 village associations, to launch and support 6 training courses and the subsequent produtive workshops they originated.
4. In 1989 the RADIAL Project became part and parcel of the activities of the “IN LOCO” Association, which them expanded this work on Integrated Rural Development from the initial 4 rural parishes to 31 as it is today the case: 4,000 square kilometers where 77,000 people live and work.
5. The work carried out has been multiple and diversified. From educational and training activities to the protection of the environment. From cultural animation to enterprise and self-employment creation. Thanks to the “IN LOCO” activities several small local businesses, on a cooperative or associative basis, were formed. In such skills as weaving, dress making and design, traditional doll-making, baking, sweet confectionery, woodwork, herb growing, knitting, etc.
6. In 1993, “IN LOCO” formed a commercial company, “SERRA-MÃE”, in order to help promoting and selling all local products from the Algarvian mountainous inland - of which it is the dominant shareholder.
This enterprise follows the principles of the Social Economy, for its main objective is to ensure the maintenance of economic activities in the villages, by guaranteeing the highest possible income to the producers, no profits being therefore distributed among the shareholders.
7. The “IN LOCO” Association has the dual aim of “promoting Community Development (which we understand to be a process of overall improvement of cultural and material living standards) through community-base initiatives; and, together with local people, other concerned individuals and institutions, promoting the full realisation of all the human and natural resources of the Algarve”.
8. The “IN LOCO” Association currently brings together some 43 professionals, whose expertise and experience are highly relevant to Rural Development, allowing the implementation of in numerous initiatives, in partnership with local associations, cooperatives, municipalities, universities, etc., at the local, regional, national and European levels.
9. Among many other projects in which “IN LOCO” has been involved the following can be singled out:
- carrying out a survey of Tourist Potential for the Algarve Hinterland, for the government’s regional tourism plan;
- providing technical and financial support to more than one hundred Rural Tourism Units and local products producers in the inland Algarve, along the last 20 years, witch represents the management of more than one million euros of investment per year;
- coordinating the proposal of the PROVERE Algarve Central’s Collective Strategic Efficiency, in witch dozens of Rural Tourism units will be built on the next 3 years (2009-20012);
- design and management of a Local Development Plan, covering 27 rural boroughs, within the framework of the EC/LEADER I Programme (1992-1995); and LEADER II, 31 boroughs (1995-1999); LEADER+ (2000-2007) and PRODER (2007-2013);
|No accredited persons|
- Federação Minha Terra (Federação Portuguesa de Associações de Desenvolvimento Local)
- ANIMAR (Associação Portuguesa de Desenvolvimento Local)
- Forum Synergie
- Conselho Estratégico Nacional do Artesanato
01/2012 - 01/2013
FEDER; FSE; FEADER; Municipalities; WB;
By its registration the organisation has signed the Transparency Register Code of Conduct.