Air Conditioning and Refrigeration European Association
II - In-house lobbyists and trade/business/professional associations
Trade and business associations
Bd. A. Reyers, 80
Mr Per Jonasson
Mr Olivier Janin
AREA is the European federation whose members are the national federations representing refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump contractors.
AREA has 20 members from 17 countries with a total membership of some 13,000 companies across Europe and a workforce of 110,000 (2012).
AREA’s general mission statement is to “support and initiate activities to promote the industry and its high standards of quality, in order to serve users' interest in a safe and uninterrupted usage of efficient refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment, and to create and maintain a favourable business climate for European refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump contractors, in terms of quality, safety, employment, fair competition and profitability”
AREA’s general objectives are:
- Harmonisation of education and training / certification
- Promotion of technical evolutions
- Environmental protection / tackling climate change / energy efficiency
- Recommendations on and promotion of professional techniques and high-level standards
- Regulation (EU) No 517/2014 on fluorinated greenhouse gases
- Regulation (EC) No 1005/2009 on substances that deplete the ozone layer
- Directive 2009/28/EC on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources
- Ecodesign Directive and implementing regulations related to refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment
- Climate change policies
- Energy efficiency policies (e.g. Energy Efficiency Directive, Energy Performance of Buildings Directive)
- AREA Guidance on minimum requirements for contractors’ training & certification on low GWP Refrigerants (Edition 2, November 2014)
- AREA guide on the application of the new F-Gas Regulation to RACHP contractors (Edition 2, November 2014)
- Guidelines on district cooling
Secretary General and supporting secretariat staff are working on a part-time basis altogether equivalent to 0.5 FTE
|No accredited persons|
- EPEE (European Partnership for Energy and the Environment)
- FAIB (Fédération des Associations Internationales établies en Belgique)
01/2014 - 11/2014
25,000 € - 49,999 €
Lifelong Learning Programme
AREA is entirely funded by its members and, sporadically and for maximum 10% of its budget, by a partnership agreement with a trade exhibition.
AREA is now involved in a Lifelong Learning Programme project (REAL ALternatives - www.realalternatives.eu) which started in November 2013 and will finish in November 2015.
By its registration the organisation has signed the Transparency Register Code of Conduct.