Diputació de Barcelona Brussels Office
VI - Organisations representing local, regional and municipal authorities, other public or mixed entities, etc.
Other sub-national public authorities
Diputació de Barelona
Rambla de Catalunya 126
Diputació de Barcelona - Brussels Office
Avenue des Arts, 3-4-5
Ms Salvador Esteve
Ms Octavi de la Varga Mas
Head of the Europe and International Strategy Office
The Province of Barcelona is currently one of the most active territories in Europe and the Mediterranean region. The Province of Barcelona lies within the region of Catalonia and includes the city of Barcelona, its capital, and 310 other municipalities. The province of Barcelona is an enterprising and outward-looking territory, and these attributes make of this territory a local benchmark on an international level.
- A population of 5.5 million inhabitants.
- 74.3% of Catalonia’s GDP and 13.9% of Spain’s GDP.
- The main exports market for the Spanish economy (41% of the state’s high-tech exports).
- The number 1 cruise port in the Mediterranean.
- The 6th largest urban area in the European Union and the centre of the Barcelona-Lyon mega-region.
- The 3rd European city for attracting foreign investment.
- The 2nd city in the world in number of international meetings.
The Government of the Province of Barcelona is the local government administration of the Province and it mainly provides to the 311 local governments with technical, economic and technological support so as to enable them to provide high-quality local services. It also coordinates municipal services and organises supramunicipal public services.
- Regional Development and Cohesion Policy, especially urban policy
- Development cooperation
- Culture and Sport
- Local economic development
- Employment and Social Affairs (education, inclusion, citizenship, social welfare, public health and consummer affairs)
-Territorial Sustainability: infrastructures, housing, environement, climate chanage and energy.
- Urban Intergroup
In the field of the European Affairs, Barcelona Provincial Council has two main objectives:
1. Cooperation with municipalities to promote strategic projects with the use of EU funds, exchange of good practices, participation in networks and partner searchs;
2. To place the municipalities and the Province of Barcelona in the decision making process of the European Union and of the legislation that is relevant for local governments.
Since 2013 the Provincial Councils of Barcelona, Tarragona, Girona and Lleida have developed a strategic alliance to coordinate their European strategies, aiming to improve internationalisation of the Catalan local governments.
To achieve these objectives, the European Cooperation Office of Barcelona Provincial Council offers the following services:
- Specialised technical advice and support in preparing and managing European projects;
- Lobbying to defend local governments' interests with regard to community policy and legislation;
- Coordinating the Secretariat of the Euro-Mediterranean network Arco Latino;
- Public information and communication regarding the European Union: management of the Europe Direct - Barcelona Information Centre;
- Providing training activities for municipal experts and elected officials;
- Connection to Brussels available to local councils and economic and social actors in the territory;
- Coordination and promotion of a network of municipal experts and elected officials from the Province, to work on European issues.
100%: 2 50%: 1
1. Mrs Blanca SOLER i TOBELLA (Head of Office)
2. Ms. Carlota ROSÉS MONTESINOS (European Policy Officer)
3. A stagier (new person every year)
|No accredited persons|
Diputació de Barcelona (311 municipalities)
• Arc Llatí (http://www.arcolatino.org/)
• Associació de Col·lectivitats Tèxtils Europees (ACTE) (http://www.acte.net/)
• Ciudades y Gobiernos Locales Unidos (CGLU) (http://www.uclg.org/)
• Platforma (http://www.platforma-dev.eu/)
01/2014 - 07/2014
< 9,999 €
No funding received from the EU institutions during the last closed financial year.
The financial information provided concerns the budget of the Provincial Government of Barcelona for 2013.
By its registration the organisation has signed the Transparency Register Code of Conduct.