Trade policy and you
Trade policy affects EU citizens. The European Commission listens to all input so that EU policy accurately reflects society's values and interests as a whole. It is built with EU citizens input, which is made before, during and after the negotiating process:
- Consultations: the EU tries to reach out to all stakeholders– businesses, trade unions, NGOs, and the broader public – for their views and thoughts when formulating policies or negotiations.
- Specific events on trade policy take place in Brussels and around the world on specific trade topics to gather input as a policy area is developing.
- The EU draws on the expertise of groups affected by trade policy to ensure its trade deals are in the European interest and will work in practice.
- EU's Trade department has regular meetings during civil society dialogue meetings which attract organisations from many walks of life.
- Civil society organisations provide advice to the Parties for trade agreements concluded between the EU and partner countries, specifically on social and environmental issues.
The European Commission is committed to providing clear information on trade policy:
- The EU Trade News is our English-language electronic newsletter
- The news archive allows people to search for previous updates
- Twitter allows us to quickly update and to engage with people
- Detailed publications on certain key topics
- You can also contact us for more information
More on EU trade policy and you
- What is trade policy
- How trade policy is made
- How the EU works in the WTO
- Trade Sustainability Impact Assessments are a policy tool for the prior assessment of the economic, social and environmental implications of a trade negotiation.
- Evaluations are used by the European Commission to assess the extent to which EU policies are reaching their objectives.
- What are the trade rules and requirements in practice.
- DG TRADE Strategic Plan 2016-2020
- DG Trade's Management Plan 2017
- Amendment to DG Trade 2016 Financing Decision and Annex
- DG Trade Financing Decision 2017 and annex
- DG Trade Annual Activity Report 2015
EU Trade Commissioner