Countries and regions
The EU and the "Mercosur" region that includes Paraguay are negotiating an Association Agreement that would include provisions to improve trade. The next round of negotiations is planned for autumn 2012.
In parallel, the EU also maintains dynamic bilateral trade relations with Mercosur countries based on the bilateral Cooperation Agreements.
The Framework Cooperation Agreement between the EU and Paraguay was signed in 1992.
The follow-up of this agreement entails regular meetings of the EU-Paraguay Joint Commission, including on trade matters. Several Joint Committees have met, most recently in April 2012.
- EU imports from Paraguay are dominated by agricultural products and crude materials (92%).
- EU exports to Paraguay are dominated by manufactured products, in particular machinery, transport equipment and chemicals.
EU-Paraguay "trade in goods" statistics
|Year||EU imports||EU exports||Balance|
EU and Paraguay
Paraguay and foreign investment
- Access to other Mercosur markets plays an important role in the attractiveness of Paraguay as a destination of Foreign Direct Investment.
Trade and investment between the EU and Paraguay remain relatively modest.
The EU is Paraguay's fifth most important trading partner (after China and Mercosur partners Brazil and Argentina and Uruguay).
The EU attaches importance to the fight against illegal trade in pirated goods in the tri-border area between Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil and considers the respect of intellectual property rights a priority. The EU is cooperating with Paraguay in this respect.
Paraguay enjoys trade preferences with the EU under the Generalised Scheme of Preferences.
Paraguay in Mercosur
Paraguay is as a member of Mercosur, but its membership in Mercosur has been temporary suspended after the impeachment of President Lugo on 22 of June.
Although EU-Paraguay trade remains limited in absolute numbers, as a member of Mercosur Paraguay is part of an important trading partner for the EU in Latin America.
The future EU-Mercosur Association Agreement – currently under negotiation – should provide a boost to regional trade integration among the countries of Mercosur and stimulate new opportunities for trade with the EU by removing tariff and non-tariff barriers to trade.
This agreement will cover, among other issues, trade in goods and services, investment, intellectual property rights (IPR) aspects including protection of geographical indications, government procurement, technical barriers to trade and sanitary and phytosanitary issues.
Trading with Paraguay
- Rules and requirements for trading with Paraguay
- The EU is present on the ground in Paraguay
- Trade relations are part of the EU's overall political and economic relations with Paraguay
- Paraguay is a member of the World Trade Organisation