Actions against imports into the EU
The EU uses trade defence instruments to re-establish a competitive environment for the EU industry when harmed by dumped or subsided imports.
The EU's initiation activity expressed in average initiations per year in the period 2009 to 2013 has decreased when compared to the periods 1996-2008. In the period 2009-2013, an average of 51 cases was initiated per year compared to 67 for the previous 13 years.
Average trade defence cases initiated
|1996 - 2008||31||36|
|2009 - 2013||18||33|
The number of anti-subsidy and antidumping measures in force is at a historical low and the overall number of measures in force in the EU is much lower than in other major WTO members.
Anti-dumping / Anti-subsidy measures
|Year||Measures in force|
EU trade defence policy
The European Commission is responsible for investigating allegations of dumping by exporting producers in non-EU countries. It usually opens an investigation after receiving a complaint from the EU producers concerned, but it can also do so on its own initiative.
A subsidy is a financial contribution from a government or public body which, in the case of trade, affects the pricing of goods imported into the EU. The EU may impose duties to neutralise the benefit of such a subsidy on imported goods when the subsidy is limited to a specific industry or group of industries.
Safeguards are intended for situations in which an EU industry is affected by an unforeseen, sharp and sudden increase of imports. The objective is to give the industry a temporary breathing space to make necessary adjustments – safeguards always come with an obligation to restructure.
Taking action using trade defence instruments
- Introduction to trade defence
- Information for small and medium enterprises
- The process and timeframe of anti-dumping investigations
More on Actions against imports into the EU
- Anti-dumping: Regulation (EU) 2016/1036
- Anti-subsidy: Regulation (EU) 2016/1037
- Safeguards (against WTO members): Regulation (EU) 2015/478
- Safeguards (against non-WTO members): Regulation (EU) 2015/755
- Implementation of WTO rulings in EU law: Regulation (EU) 2015/476
- Protecting the EU against injurious pricing of ships: Regulation (EU) 2016/1035
- Protecting EU air services against subsidies and unfair practices of non-EU air carriers: Regulation (EC) No 868/2004
- Transitional product-specific safeguards mechanism for imports from the People's Republic of China: Regulation (EU) 2015/755
- Trade Defence Instruments Committee