Actions against exports from the EU
As the world's leading exporter, the EU is sometimes the subject of trade defence investigations initiated in non-EU countries.
- The EU's trade policy aims to help the EU to compete better on international markets. Unwarranted trade defence measures unfairly block EU exporters' free access to the world's markets, and their negative impact should be minimised whenever possible.
- Any exporting industry subject to a trade defence action initiated by a non-EU country is responsible for defending its rights throughout the proceedings and for cooperating with the investigating authorities to favour a positive outcome.
Trade defence measures in non-EU markets
|Country||Measures in force|
|People's Republic of China||111|
EU trade defence policy
The European Commission monitors and assists affected EU industries when non-EU countries take trade defence measures against EU exporters. The Commission also plays a more direct role in anti-subsidy and safeguard investigations when EU subsidies are involved and the EU as a whole is targeted.
- closely monitors the development of trade defence investigations initiated by non-EU countries: the EU publishes statistics concerning ongoing investigations and measures in force and an annual report on non-EU country trade defence actions
- assists and advises EU national authorities and the EU industry concerned by investigations initiated by non-EU countries
- promotes discipline and seeks to make non-EU countries comply with their WTO obligations through bilateral meetings, consultations under the relevant WTO Agreements or WTO dispute settlement mechanism.
Ongoing investigations in non-EU markets
More on Actions against exports from the EU
The Commission has compiled detailed information relating to trade defence investigations conducted by non-EU countries. This information is available for the main users of the instruments as set out below. If you have any other specific knowledge or experience, please share it with us, so that we can update our information.