Navigation path

Economic Operators Registration and Identification number (EORI)

What does an economic operator need to do before starting customs activities in the EU?

Any economic operator established in the EU needs to have an EORI number. Economic operators established outside the EU have to be assigned an EORI number if they lodge a customs declaration, an Entry or an Exit Summary Declaration. AEO applicants in particular (see above) need to have an EORI number that they must enter in box 9 of the AEO application form (see also the Guidelines on EORI below).

Moreover, it is irrelevant if the economic operator is a company (legal person) or a natural person. Even an individual needs to have a valid registration number, used by one of the Member States as from 1 July 2009. Many Member States use their current identification systems. As such only new operators should register. In the last case the application should be sent to the relevant authorities of the Member States in which the economic operator is established (in case of EU economic operators) - see also the EORI Guidelinespdf(544 kB) Choose translations of the previous link  . Online access to EORI is available from our Databases web page.

An economic operator not established in the European Community customs territory also needs to apply for an EORI number. From 1 July 2009 economic operators from third countries need an EORI number in order to:

The list of other possible cases and exclusions is provided in the EORI Guidelinespdf(544 kB) Choose translations of the previous link  . Economic operators from third countries should apply for an EORI number in the country in which one of the above mentioned cases takes place. See the latest indicative information about the EORI National Implementationpdf(753 kB) Choose translations of the previous link  .


EORI e-learning tool

An e-learning course on EORI is now available for download.