Customs is business friendly
A vast majority of customs declarations for both import and export are submitted to customs electronically.
- The global EU level of electronic input is more than 98%.
- The electronic input is 99.7% for export and 96.5% for import.
A large majority of imports and exports are carried out using simplified procedures.
- The global EU level of using simplified procedures is more than 74%.
- 77% of all imports and 70% of all exports are made using simplified procedures.
Authorised Economic Operators (AEO)
The AEO status can be granted to economic operators who meet criteria specified in customs legislation, such as customs compliance, appropriate record-keeping, financial solvency and, where relevant, appropriate security and safety standards.
- The number of AEO certificates issued in EU Member States was 13 821 at the end of 2013.
- The operators with the AEO status were involved in 61% of all imports and 70% of all exports and in 40% of transits.
- The AEO is beneficial for traders recognition by other countries, for example see Press Release and video on May 2012 EU-US mutual agreement
(figures for year 2013; 28 Member States; source: DG Taxation and Customs Union)